Home Remedies for Chest Congestion
Chest congestion is an inflammation in the respiratory tract and can be caused by cold and flu, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, or other serious illness and includes symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, chest pain, shortness of breath etc. Chest infection can be treated at home. Let’s take a look at the home remedies……
- Undoubtedly steam inhaling is the most popular and one of the best remedy for treating chest congestion. Boil water in a bowl. Add 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil into it. Lean over the bowl and cover your head and the bowl with a towel, so that the steam does not escape. Close your eyes and inhale the vapor. The steam will loosen the phlegm.
- Gurgling is also an effective remedy for chest congestion. Just take a glass of warm water. Add 1 tsp of salt and mix well. Gurgle with this water 4-5 times using the full water. Repeat this procedure 3-4 times a day, till symptoms subside.
- Ginger provides relief from chest congestion as it has the potential to reduce inflammation. Make ginger tea by boiling ginger pieces in a cup of water. Cover and let the tea steep for 10 minutes. Strain and add 1 tbsp of lemon juice and 1 tbsp of honey and drink it warm.
- Take a cup of hot milk. Add ½ a tsp of turmeric powder, ¼ tsp of pepper powder and 2 tsp of honey. Mix well and drink the hot milk before going to bed. Turmeric has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to fight bacteria and reduce inflammation.
- Tomato-lime juice is another effective remedy for chest congestion. Blend a few ripe tomatoes to make a glass of fresh tomato juice. Add 1 tbsp honey and 1 tbsp lemon juice. Mix well and drink to get relief from chest congestion. Drink this mixture every day till you find relief.
- Basil leaves is very beneficial in relieving chest congestion. Wash and put a handful of basil leaves in a glass of boiling water. Cover and steep the tea for 15 minutes and drink the tea 2 times a day. You can add 1 tbsp of honey if required.
- Consuming apple cider vinegar is also a good remedy for chest congestion. Take a cup of water and mix in 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp of honey and drink this mixture twice a day in the morning and night for chest congestion relief. It kills the congestion causing bacteria and helps to breathe better.
- Radish is a beneficial home remedy for treating chest congestion as it helps to clear any infection and mucus in the respiratory tract. Chop a radish into pieces. Pour the juice of ½ a lemon over the pieces and consume the pieces every morning on empty stomach.
- Cloves help to clear chest congestion and reduce inflammation. Make a cup of clove tea and drink daily. To make the tea, boil a cup of water and add 1 tsp powdered cloves. Cover and let the tea steep for 10 minutes. Strain and drink the tea by adding 1 tbsp of honey.
- Grind betel leaves into paste form and apply this paste on your chest to get relief from chest congestion.
There are several over-the-counter medications available for chest congestion, but remember they might cure the infection but at the same time they have harmful side effects too. But with home remedies you can be assured that you will be cured and they are safe to use.