Home Remedies for Acne
Acne is a common problem that most teenagers face. Acne is caused when the pores of the skin is clogged by sebum, which is an oily substance and dead cells. Acne symptoms include pimples, whiteheads, blackheads, small tender bumps and pus filled bumps. There are many home remedies for acne which are safe and which will give you a clear skin.
- Rinse your face with warm water. Apply honey on the face and leave it for 15 minutes. Then wash it away. Honey has antimicrobial properties. You can also make a mask with honey and cinnamon to get rid of acne. Another way to use honey to treat acne is to mix 1 Tbsp honey with 1 Tbsp of yogurt or milk and apply the mask on the face and wash it when the mask becomes dry.
- Take some oatmeal and make a paste by mixing with warm water. Apply this mask on the affected area and leave it for half an hour and wash. Apply moisturizer. Oatmeal is capable of removing excess oil from the skin.
- Applying tree tea oil is another effective remedy for acne.
- Add one part of apple cider vinegar to three parts of water and using a cotton ball, apply the mixture on the affected area and leave aside for 15-20 minutes and wash it off. Vinegar helps to remove excess oil and kill the acne causing bacteria.
- Mix 3 Tbsp of baking powder to 3 Tbsp of water. Apply this mask on the affected area. Leave it for 15 minutes and wash the mask away. Baking soda removes dead cells and help to prevent scarring.
- Egg white can also get rid of acne. Whisk egg white and apply the mixture on your face and leave it for 15-20 minutes. Wash it away with warm water when it dries up and tighten. Pat dry and apply moisturizer.
- Aloe vera has excellent anti-inflammatory properties. Apply the aloe vera gel on the affected area and rinse after 30 minutes.
- Papain compound in papaya is very effective remedy to treat acne. Apply ripe papaya pulp on the affected area and rinse after 15 minutes.
- Another effective home remedy is toothpaste. Toothpaste can be used to clean your teeth and also get rid of acne. Apply some toothpaste on the acne. Leave it overnight and rinse in the morning.
- Multani mitti also known as fuller’s earth is capable of eliminating acne because it unclogs the pores and absorbs excess oil. Make a paste with Multani mitti and some water and apply on the face and affected areas. Wash your face after the mask completely dries up.
- Garlic also has antimicrobial properties and has the potential to treat acne. Crush some flakes of garlic and apply on your skin and wash it off after sometime.
- Orange is rich in vitamin C and contains citric acid that helps to kill bacteria and remove the dead cells and also promote growth of new cells, so orange peel is another home remedy for acne. Grind the orange peel, add some water and make a paste. Apply this paste on the face and wash it off after 20 minutes.
- Rub lemon slice on your face to get rid of acne. For more effective results, you can apply a mixture of lemon juice and egg white and rinse after 20 minutes.
- Grind fenugreek into paste and apply on the skin and rinse after 20 minutes.
- Make a paste with sandalwood and water and apply on the skin. Leave it on for 15 minutes and rinse.
Many people use over-the-counter medicines and tropical applications for acne which suppresses the acne, but which might have harmful side-effects, such as eczema, birth defects if taken during pregnancy, neurological symptoms, respiratory problems etc, if taken for a long period of time. The best solution to avoid such harmful side-effects is to treat acne with safe home remedies.