Home Remedies for Asthma
Asthma is a chronic respiratory diseases caused due to inflammation in the airways, which is characterized by symptoms such as wheezing, breathing difficulty, chest tightness and cough. Asthma can be caused by allergies, certain foods, certain medications, pollution etc and is treated with drugs and inhalers. Why choose medical treatments for asthma, when there are plenty of home remedies which provide you relief from asthmatic symptoms? Try these remedies and feel the relief.
Home remedies for asthma
- Eating fruits such as apples, lemons and oranges can be helpful in preventing asthmatic attacks because apples improves the functions of the lungs and lemons and oranges are rich in vitamin C and this vitamin protect the lungs from inflammation. Drinking a glass of lemon juice regularly helps to reduce asthmatic attacks.
- Ginger is another effective natural remedy for asthma as it has the potential to reduce inflammation in the bronchial passageways. Take a 1” piece of ginger. Cut it into small pieces and allow it to boil in a glass of water. Drink the mixture when cool.
- Eat onions because it has anti-inflammatory properties and helps to reduce the constriction of the airways. Eating raw onions is the most effective remedy.
- When you suffer from an attack of asthma, just heat ½ cup of mustard oil. Add some camphor into heat. When the oil becomes warm, rub the oil on your chest and back for relief from asthmatic symptoms. Repeat several times till you feel better.
- Another really effective remedy for asthma is garlic, as it helps to clear congestion. Take about 5-6 garlic cloves of garlic. Add it into 1 glass of milk and boil the milk. Allow the milk to cool, strain it and drink the milk before going to bed and as soon as you wake up in the morning.
- Mix 2 tbsp of honey in a glass of milk and drink it before going to bed. This can prevent the onset of asthmatic attack during the night.
- Lemon and ginger have the potential to relieve asthma. Take a glass of water. Squeeze the juice of one lemon into it. Add 1 tbsp of ginger juice. Mix well and drink the juice to get immediate relief from asthma symptoms and prevent frequency of attacks.
- Drink a cup of hot, strong coffee to get relief from asthma because the caffeine in coffee acts as a bronchodilator.
- Banana is an effective cure for asthma. Not just eating banana by itself. You have to first warm up a ripe banana on a low flame, sprinkle some black pepper on it and eat it. This has proven to provide immediate relief.
- Boil 2 tsp of fenugreek seeds in a glass of water. Allow it to cool. Strain and keep aside and drink this decoction early morning on empty stomach to get relief from asthma.
- Soak 2-3 figs in a cup of water in the night. Next day early morning eat the soaked figs and drink the water empty stomach to prevent asthmatic attacks.
- Consume a cup of yogurt every day because it is rich in vitamin B12 which is a lung-loving vitamin and can alleviate the symptoms of asthma.
- Take some basil leaves (tulsi) and grind to paste. Add a spoon or two of honey. Mix well and eat it. It is a great home remedy for asthma.
- Mix 1 tsp of de-seeded gooseberry paste and 1 tsp of honey and consume every day. Gooseberry prevents inflammation and fights free radical damage.
- Consume drumstick leaves soup. Add a handful of drumstick leaves to a cup of boiling water. Season with a bit of salt and pepper and drink every day.
While asthmatic medicines and inhalers can provide you relief from asthmatic symptoms, you should understand that there can be harmful side-effects also. Using inhalers can decrease bone density, cause cataract, dysphonia, oral candidiasis etc. So stop using dangerous drugs and inhalers and choose home remedies instead to provide relief from asthma attack.