Home Remedies for Anxiety
Everyone experience anxiety in one point or other in their life. It is an emotion or disorder and anxiety is defined as “A state of uneasiness and apprehension, as about future uncertainties’. Anxiety may be caused by problems in the brain functioning and anxiety symptoms include lack of sleep, feeling of fear and panic, shortness of breath, heart palpitation, nausea etc. You don’t need expensive drugs if you are suffering from anxiety; just the following home remedies will provide relief.
- Exercising is an excellent anxiety reliever. Just 20 minutes of exercising every day can cure anxiety.
- Soak 8-10 almonds in water for about 8 hours. Peel the skin and grind in a blender with a pinch of nutmeg and a pinch of ginger. Add this paste to a cup of warm milk. Mix thoroughly and drink at night.
- Chamomile tea is an effective remedy for anxiety. Chamomile has been used for centuries to treat anxiety. Boil 2 cups of water. Pour into a jug. Add 1 tbsp of dried chamomile flowers or 2 tbsp of fresh chamomile flowers into the jug. Cover and allow the tea to steep for 10 minutes. Strain and drink the tea to calm down and make you feel relaxed.
- Mix a ½ cup of onions and ½ cup of celery and eat with your meals daily for two weeks to reduce symptoms of anxiety.
- Rub a few drops of lavender oil on your temple or your collar. The smell provides a very soothing and calm effect.
- Take a cup of orange juice. Add 1 tsp of honey and a pinch of nutmeg and drink. Nutmeg helps the body to relax and fall asleep easily. You can even peel an orange and inhale to reduce anxiety.
- Clinical studies show that kava has the efficiency to reduce anxiety. It is an herb from the Pacific islands and has the potential to reduce anxiety. It is available in concentrated extraction in capsule and tablet form.
- Drink 2-3 cups of green tea every day. Green tea boosts your mood and helps you to relax and reduce stress and anxiety.
- Hunger can cause anxiety, so snack on something quickly to find relieve from anxiety.
- Make rosemary tea by boiling 1 cup of water and adding 1 tsp dried herb. Allow to steep, strain and drink the tea. Rosemary is an excellent remedy for anxiety because it has a calming effect on the nerves.
- Passion flower has been used historically to reduce anxiety. It is a supplement which has nerve calming capacity and as it is a sedative helps you to sleep. It is available in capsule and tablet form. You can also make passion flower tea by using dried herbs.
- Aromatherapy is very effective in reducing anxiety. Essential oils such as lavender, jasmine, and sandalwood can be added to your bath or used for massaging your body. A few drops of oil can be added to boiling water and used for steaming.
- Another extremely effective home remedy for anxiety is Valerian root. It decreases level of anxiety by promoting feeling of calmness and enhancing sleep. Valerian root is available in capsule, tablet, and liquid extract and as tea bags. Just take it two hours before bedtime. You can also make valerian tea using dried valerian root.
- Lemon balm is an excellent remedy for anxiety as it relaxes and soothes the nerves. You can make lemon balm tea at home. Place 3 tbsp of washed fresh lemon balm leaves or dried leaves in a tea pot. Boil 3 cups of water and pour over the leaves. Close the tea pot and allow the tea to steep for 10 minutes. Strain and drink the tea hot or cold.
- Take vitamin B complex supplement daily because deficiency in vitamin B can cause anxiety.
If you are suffering from anxiety, one very important factor to keep in mind is that anxiety relieving drugs can cause dangerous side effects such as memory loss, hallucinations, drowsiness, depression, nausea, dizziness, clumsiness etc. So try to avoid drugs and treat anxiety from the comforts of your home with safe home remedies.