Home Remedies for BV (Bacterial Vaginosis)
Many women who are sexually active suffer from a condition called Bacterial Vaginosis (BV). It is caused when there is a change in the normal balance of vaginal bacteria. Fishy smelling yellowish vaginal discharge, itchiness, pain when urinating etc are some of the symptoms of BV. But not to worry, this condition can be treated effectively with home remedies. Some of them are:
10 remarkable home remedies for BV
- Yogurt has always been an effective remedy for BV. It contains lactobacilli bacteria which can fight off the bacteria that cause the infection. Dip a tampon in yogurt and insert it into your vagina. Let it remain there for 30 minutes and then remove the tampon and wash thoroughly with fresh water. Repeat 2-3 times a day till symptoms disappear.
- Apple cider vinegar is another beneficial remedy for BV. Mix apple cider vinegar with water and douche with this solution 2-3 times daily till you find relief. Or just add a cup of apple cider vinegar into the bath tub. Soak your vagina in it for 20 minutes daily. Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and has the potential to kill BV causing bacteria.
- Garlic : Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of garlic are also very effective in treating BV. Soak 3-4 cloves of garlic in a cup of water overnight and swallow on empty stomach in the morning. Also insert a garlic clove in your vagina and keep it there for 15-20 minutes, not longer. Repeat these procedures daily till symptoms subside.
- Tea bag treatment is very effective in reducing the itching in the vagina due to BV. Take a tea bag and soak it in water. Freeze it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and put the cold tea bag into the vagina. Keep it there for 10-15 minutes. Repeat 3-4 times a day.
- Tea tree oil has proved to be an effective natural healer for BV. Just put 2-3 drops of tea tree oil on a tampon and insert into your vagina and let it remain there for 10 minutes. The antifungal, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties of tea tree oil kill infection and stops discharge and vagina odor. Do this 2-3 times a day and keep changing the tampons.
- Fenugreek seeds : Take a glass of water and soak 2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds in it. Cover and leave it overnight. Drink this mixture on empty stomach. Continue daily till symptoms disappear.
- Make a paste of a handful of neem and some water. Apply this paste in and around the vagina to get relief from BV because neem has antifungal and antibacterial properties to destroy BV causing bacteria and stop itching.
- Coconut oil :Soak a tampon in coconut oil and insert into the vagina and allow it to remain there for 1 hour. The antibacterial, antifungal properties of coconut help to kill the germs and ward off BV.
- Just like yogurt, milk also contains lactobacilli bacterial that has the potential to kill the bacteria that causes BV. Dip a tampon in cold milk and insert into your vagina and let it remain there for 1 hour. Repeat this procedure daily till symptoms are relieved.
- Ajwain or carom seeds have also proved to be beneficial in treating BV. You need hot burning coal and 2 tsp of ajwain seeds. Place the coal in a bowl and put the seeds into it. Squat over the bowl and make sure that the fumes enter your vagina. Ajwain’s antibacterial and antifungal properties destroy the bacteria and help to clear the infection.
The moment you notice symptoms of bacterial Vaginosis, don’t swallow antibiotics. Instead try these natural home remedies which are proven to be beneficial in treating BV, because popular antibiotics can cause serious health problems such as heart palpitations, vision problem, allergies, rashes, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, abdominal pain etc. So why suffer by consuming antibiotics, when you can find the remedy in your kitchen which is cheap, effective and safe???