Whooping cough which is medically termed as pertussis, is caused by bacterial infection in the respiratory system and is highly contagious, which includes symptoms such as dry cough, nasal congestion, watery eyes, slight temperature etc in the initial stage which can take a serious turn after 1-2 weeks with symptoms like vomiting, fatigue, breathlessness and whooping sound when inhaling. There are several conventional home remedies which provide relief from the symptoms and help to treat the condition.
10 remarkable home remedies for whooping cough
- Garlic : One of the best and most popular remedy for whooping cough is garlic because it has antibacterial, antimicrobial and expectorant properties to treat any bacterial infection. Extract 1 tsp of juice from fresh garlic cloves and consume. Repeat 3 times a day till symptoms disappear.
- Carrot :A simple remedy for whooping cough can be made with carrot. Extract 1 tbsp of carrot juice from fresh carrots and add to a glass of warm water. Mix in 1 tbsp of honey and drink to treat whooping cough.
- Ginger, like garlic also has antibacterial, antimicrobial, expectorant and anti-inflammatory properties to get rid of bacterial infection and inflammation. Make ginger tea by boiling a few pieces of ginger in a cup of boiling water. Stain and drink by adding 1 tbsp of honey. Or, mix together 10 drops of ginger juice, 10 drops of onion juice and 5 drops of almond oil and take this mixture three times a day till cough subsides.
- Mix a few drops of eucalyptus oil with a few drops of almond oil and rub on your chest to get relief from whooping cough.
- Turmeric milk can also help to relieve whooping cough. Its antibiotic properties help to treat the infection in the breathing passage and provide relief from cough. Mix 1 tsp of turmeric in a glass of warm milk and drink before going to bed and also first thing in the morning on empty stomach.
- Boil a cup of water and add 1 tsp of freshly grated ginger and 1 tsp of b. Add 1 tsp of honey and drink this mixture for relief from whooping cough.
- Licorice root is another effective home remedy for whooping cough because it contains anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties and soothes the throat. Drink three cups of licorice tea in a day to get relief from whooping cough. To make the tea, add 1 tsp of powdered licorice root to 1 cup of boiling water. Cover and allow the tea to steep for 10-15 minutes. Strain the tea. Add 1 tbsp of honey and drink.
- Mix 1 tsp of castor oil to 1 glass of cow’s milk and drink to treat whooping cough.
- Add 1 tsp of honey to a cup of grape juice and consume. This is a very efficient home remedy for whooping cough.
- Make a mixture of 1 tsp fresh radish juice, 1 tsp of honey and some rock salt. Consume this mixture 3 times a day till symptoms subside.
Person suffering from whooping cough should take complete rest and avoid foods that cause phlegm. Whooping cough can be safely treated with these remedies from home, which do not cause dangerous health effects and help in speedy recovery.