Sciatica is a condition which causes leg pain. The pain usually starts from the lower back, travels down the buttocks and upto the legs. Often, the condition is restricted to one side of the extremity. Sciatica may be a symptom for an underlying condition like lumbar disc herniation, disc degeneration or lumbar stenosis.
The symptoms of the problem can be:
- Sudden pulling or tingling pain that reaches upto the leg.
- Difficulty moving the affected limb and difficulty to stand or sit.
- Feeling better while walking or lying down instead of sitting or standing.
The diagnosis includes an X-ray and an MRI which help in arriving at the cause. Treatment includes pain killers, advice for physiotherapy, change for a healthy lifestyle etc. Surgery is rarely advised by doctors unless the situation warrants in very severe cases.
There are some alternative remedies which can be tried for sciatic pain relief, after ruling out serious underlying causes for the problem.
- Lie down and place a hot bag / bottle on the area of pain.
- Lie in such a way that the bottle presses against the area of pain providing instant relief.
- Rest for sufficient time with the hot bag in place, to find relief from sciatic pain.
Castor Oil Massage:
- Heat a small amount of castor oil.
- Now, do a gentle massage on the source point of pain by rubbing the area with hands on which the castor oil is smeared.
- Do a gentle massage for at least ten minutes, continuously.
- Repeat twice a day.
- There are some good ayurvedic remedies for sciatic pain.
- Ayurveda advises the use of certain herbs like saffron, nutmeg and chamomile apart from castor oil, for curing sciatic pain.
- Approaching an expert ayurvedic practitioner is a good step towards curing this kind of pain.
- Also, Ayurveda advises the consumption of plenty of fruits and vegetables and avoidance of fried, spicy and sour foods.
- There are certain exercises which are part of yoga which help in finding a permanent relief from sciatic pain.
- Initially, the person may find it difficult to perform this poses. However, the rule is to never strain or overstretch the body. Do only to the point where the body is comfortable.
- As you stick to regular practice, the body becomes more flexible and poses which once seemed impossible would become as easy as walking or sitting.
- However, learn the yoga exercises from an expert.
- This is an ancient Chinese healing system which believes that diseases are the result of energy blocks.
- Acupuncturists work on the body to enable smooth flow of energies. For this, they identify points called meridians and insert fine, sterile, disposable needles, with such expertise that the patient hardly feels any pain except a pricking sensation. Different meridians correspond to different systems and body parts.
- An expert acupuncturist identifies the root and treats the issue, painlessly.
- Consult an experienced acupuncturist for this purpose.
- This is another therapy where therapeutic magnets are used to cure sciatica.
- The magnets are placed in the lower back, exactly at the starting point of pain. The magnets are placed in belt straps, which should be worn by the patient in such a way that they are in contact with the area of pain, throughout the day, until the symptoms subside.
- For others where belt straps would not be effective, pillow pads which contain magnets are advised to be used. These pillows need to placed under the back in the area of pain for the time recommended by the practitioner.