A queasy stomach is that occasional feeling you get when something is not right with the tummy. Symptoms of a queasy stomach include:
- Bloating, belching and acidity.
- Nausea, a vomiting sensation.
- Abdominal pain.
- An unpleasant taste in the mouth.
- Heaviness in the stomach.
- Lack of appetite and disinterest to eat anything.
- Heart burn.
Let us now see what causes this queasiness:
- Indigestion due to overeating.
- Suppressing the urge to pass motions resulting in hardening of faeces.
- Lack of exercise.
- Too much of drinking alcohol.
There are a number of over-the-counter (OTC) medicines to get relief from stomach queasiness. These inlude pain relievers like ibuprofen and other medicines like antacid to clear the symptoms. Also, some laxatives are prescribed to ease bowel movements.
Some good home remedies are mentioned here:
- At the end of a heavy meal, make it a habit to eat a teaspoonful of fennel seeds.
- Chew them thoroughly before swallowing.
- Fennel seeds activate the digestive juices and help in proper digestion.
- Thus, tummy aches can be prevented.
- Take a pinch of fresh cinnamon powder.
- Crush a few cloves.
- Dry roast a few fennel seeds.
- Take a few pepper corns.
- Powder all the above ingredients and add them to boiling water.
- Let the water level reduce to half.
- Strain the liquid, add a tea spoonful of honey and have it hot.
- This helps to instantly relieve stomach queasiness.
- Mint aids in digestion and helps in curing various ailments.
- Add fresh leaves of mint in the water meant for making tea. Do this regularly to get the health benefits of mint.
- Prepare a chutney made of mint, a small cayenne and dry roasted pulses with little salt for taste. Keep this chutney in the fridge. Consume this in small quantities, every day, along with your meal, to get relief from stomach problems.
- Mint helps in clearing the toxins accumulated in the gastro-intestinal track.
Ginger and basil:
- Chew the leaves of 10 holy basil leaves, first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach. Wash the leaves thoroughly before eating them. This helps in easing the process of digestion apart from ensuring stomach health.
- Ginger also helps in good digestion and excretion. Include ginger in various food preparations. Consume ginger tea, at least twice in a day.
- For immediate relief from gastric problems, extract fresh juice from a small piece of ginger, add a little honey and have. This eases the symptoms.
Yoga, meditation and deep breathing:
- There are a number of yoga postures, which specifically address stomach issues.
- Learn from a yoga expert and practise regularly.
- Deep breathing ensures better oxygenation to various parts responsible for digestion. This in turn ensures better blood circulation and greater stimulation which results in proper functioning of the digestive organs.
- Meditation, at least for ten minutes in a day, helps in eliminating stress and relaxing the body.
Tips to avoid a queasy stomach:
- Avoid stress. Deep breathing helps.
- Do not overindulge in spicy and oily food.
- Drink adequate amounts of water.
- Move around. This helps the intestines to work better for proper digestion.
- Do not suppress the urge to pass motions.
- Do not drink too much during parties.
- Avoid lying down, immediately after a heavy meal.
- For nausea due to pregnancy, try eating less but more number of times during the day.