Prostate is a gland located within the male reproductive system. Hence, an enlarged prostate is essentially a condition suffered by men. Prostate gland secretes fluids which nourish the semen in the male body. It also has muscles which help in ejaculation of the semen.
An enlarged prostate may indicate Prostatis, Benign Prostate Hyperplasia or even cancer. An enlarged prostate is said to be the result of an imbalance between the male testesterone hormone and the estrogen hormone. Usually, when a man is young, he produces more of testesterone and less of estrogen. However, as he ages, it is vice versa. The excess of estrogen is said to be the main culprit to cause prostate enlargement.
The following persons are at a risk for prostate enlargement:
- Men suffering for diabetes.
- Men suffering from High Blood Pressure.
- Men above 50.
- Men addicted to drinking.
- Men with a family history of prostate problems.
The symptoms of prostate enlargement are:
- Urge to urinate many times, especially at night.
- Delayed start of urine stream.
- Inability to pass urine.
- Dribbling and incontinence.
Several tests are prescribed by doctors to diagnose the condition. These include blood tests, urine tests, cystoscopy, ultra sound, digital rectal test etc. It is important to rule out serious underlying causes before trying out natural remedies to cure this condition.
- Gooseberry and honey:
- Ayurvedic stores sell bottles containing gooseberries soaked in organic honey.
- It can be made at home too.
- Buy good quality gooseberries. Wash them thoroughly. Cut them into many pieces and remove the seeds. Add a few teaspoons of honey and a pinch of turmeric.
- Mix the contents well and store in a glass jar in the refrigerator.
- Eat a teaspoon of this mixture, every morning on an empty stomach.
- Cranberry juice:
- Cranberries are rich in vitamins like B Complex and C. They contain antioxidants which curtail the harmful effects of free radicals caused in the body. They also contain essential vitamins like iron, calcium, sodium, zinc, magnesium, potassium and phosphorous.
- Studies showed the beneficial effects of cranberry juice on persons undergoing radiation therapy after prostate cancer treatment.
- Similarly, cranberry juice consumption helps in curing infections which result in swelling of the prostate gland.
- Pumpkin and water melon seeds:
- Pumpkin seeds are diuretic and contain a lot of zinc. Being diuretic, they help in removing blockage in urination caused due to enlarged prostate. Zinc boosts the immune system and helps in healing by repairing and rebuilding the cells.
- Make a tea out of pumpkin seeds by boiling them thoroughly in water. Strain the mixture and have the tea.
- Even water melon seeds serve the same purpose. Save the seeds of the water melon. Use them in a similar manner as pumpkin seeds.
- Include lots of tomatoes in food. The high amounts of lycopene in tomatoes curb the risk of prostate cancer.
- Eat omega 3 rich fatty acids. One easy way to get this is to consume fish, especially cod and sardines.
- Include soy. Soy is believed to balance the testesterone and estrogen levels in males.
Tips to prevent prostatis:
- After the age of 50, go for yearly body check-ups. This helps in catching the disease at the earliest.
- Avoid sitting in the same position for too long.
- Be physically active. Take brisk walk for 25 minutes, early in the morning.
- Never suppress the urge to urinate and drink at least 10 glasses of water, every day.
- Eat fruits and vegetables which help in digestion.
- Quit smoking and drinking alcohol.