Alcoholism is an addiction. It affects the patient, on a physical and mental level. Though the patient knows that it is detrimental, he finds it nearly impossible to quit the habit.
It is a well-known fact that high use of alcohol, regularly, affects the drinker in the following ways:
- It affects the drinker’s liver, kidneys, pancreas etc.
- It spikes the sugar levels in the body.
- It can cause serious diseases including cancer.
- It makes him a social outcast, someone, who is shunned by society.
- It causes mental depression. After the initial high which one gets due to the addiction, all that is left is a mental void with a constant feeling to quit the habit but finding it really impossible to put the thought into practice.
Here are some easy Home Remedies to Quit the Habit:
- If you are really determined to kick the habit, start off with grape juice.
- For the initial period of about a month, when you have stopped drinking alcohol, drink about two glasses of grape juice.
- This helps in reducing cravings for alcohol.
- Also, grape juice being full of vitamin C, helps in maintaining energy levels.
- Buy good quality pesticide-free grapes, if you are making the juice on your own. If you are buying the ready-to drink juice, go for the ones which do not have added sugar.
- Soak about five dates in water, overnight. Deseed them before soaking.
- In the morning, run the mixture in a mixer.
- Drink this juice, without fail, every morning.
- Dates help in reducing the cravings. Also, being rich in potassium, vitamin B and dietery fibre, they help in activating and energising the brain. The brain, in turn, releases feel-good hormones, helping the person to stick to his resolution to quit the habit.
- Whenever you get a craving to have a drink, march to the fridge and instead pick a juicy carrot. Munch on it leisurely, feeling the sweetiness of the vegetable.
- Similarly, you can munch on cucumber too.
- The time taken for munching a single piece of any of these two vegetables is sufficient to get over the craving.
- Moreover, you get the added health benefit of eating raw vegetables.
Indulge in new recreational activities:
- Indulging in new, brainy and recreational activities helps the mind in being diverted from the bottle.
- Learn to play an instrument or learn a new language which is entirely alien to you.
- Set a target number of days, usuallly a short period, to learn the same.
- This keeps the brain occupied for several days, intensely, in pursuit of the new goal.
- Thus, as the initial cravings are subsided, the body and mind learn to cope without alcohol.
Life style changes:
- Enrol in a fitness programme.
- Else, learn yoga and do it on a regular basis.
- Practise meditation for a few minutes, every day. While doing meditation, reaffirm your commitment towards healthy and abstinence from alcohol.
- Practise positive affirmations, early in the morning that you would stick to your goal. This helps you continue on the difficult track.
Ultimately, when a person quits alcohol, it is not only the person who is benefitted physically and mentally, his whole family reaps the bounties of a positive and healthy family atmosphere. After all, an alcoholic too has a responsibility towards his family and the society at large.
Some tips to keep the bottle at bay:
- Quit smoking. This will nudge you to your next goal, i.e., to quit alcohol.
- Keep sipping water or apple juice whenever you get an urge to drink. This helps in controlling the mind from wavering from the goal.
- Think of your loved ones. That is enough motivation to quit drinking.