Many of us are employed in a profession that we are least interested in, but tolerate it only because of the money pouring in, or because we are not qualified enough to try out anything else. With this continual engagement in tasks that are lacking in any kind of zestful flavor will eventually allow boredom to set in, which can be actually bad for the person’s mental wellbeing.
All of us would have been ‘bored to death’ at some point; maybe during those long lectures on topics one is least interested in; while standing in a long serpentine queue to fill out some essential papers, or for tickets; etc.
Boredom can be considered to be more of a mental state of restlessness and of being weary due to a lack in interest. This is a more common problem in those who are constantly on the lookout for new experiences, something more adventurous to keep their attention held for long. Being in a state of boredom for too long a time can be harmful, dangerous; or may even be helpful, for some usually get in touch with their creative side at such times. It is how one applies their mind to a situation, to an object or task that determines the state of boredom; so in a way one’s attention span appears to play a major role in triggering boredom in certain individuals.
When one is bored, they tend to get angry easily, feel frustrated and allow more negative thoughts to rove around their mind. In such a situation, it is important to find a way out or to at least to get through it. For this, following some natural methods will be of great help to counteract the effects of boredom.
How Boredom Can Be Tackled Naturally
The following are some methods that could be resorted to while sitting at home bored.
- Cook, if this sounds interesting read on… People who are big foodies usually will also be interested in garnering good cooking skills. So while getting bored, all that chopping, whipping, stirring and sautéing will keep oneself occupied. But the only drawback with this, it appears, is that boredom tends to increase a person’s appetite as well; so overeating or preparing ‘junk’ food at such times should best be avoided.
- Develop reading skills. Read a nice book that one has been wanting to for a long, long time; or borrow a book from the neighborhood library and start reading. This will keep one’s attention engaged, and who knows, may even come up with great ideas to ‘beat the blues.’
- Go for a long walk. This actually is strongly recommended, for not only will one get to soak in the scenic beauty around them, their body will also get the much needed exercise to keep it fit and fine.
- Keep a diary to jot down day-to-day events in its sequence. Journal writing will also help one give a clarity, of where they are going wrong, and what are they doing right. It is also a better way to keep connected with ones’ achievements and what is to be achieved in future.
- Listening to music, to something one has never heard before is a great way to kill boredom. Music will also help in keeping one more relaxed. This is a good way to take a break while performing boring tasks while at work as well.
To ensure that one does not have lot of spare time to get bored, try and map out the next day’s events, and the following days’ as well. Keeping a schedule for the day will surely keep boredom away.