Most of us have suffered from cramps and have cried out in pain in some point in our life. Cramp is a condition which refers to a painful, involuntary and contraction of muscle. Cramps can be muscular cramps for menstrual cramps. Muscular cramps may occur in skeletal muscle or smooth muscle and can be due to fatigue of muscles, varicose veins, reduced blood flow, dehydration, lack of magnesium, sodium and potassium etc. Menstrual cramp refers to pain in the belly and pelvic area due to menstrual periods and can be accompanied by headache, nausea or vomiting and diarrhea or constipation. Cramp is non-damaging and is usually a temporary condition. Off-course the pain can sometimes be excruciating, but with certain home remedies you can get relief from cramps and pain. Some home remedies for muscular and menstrual cramps are given below:
5 remarkable home remedies for muscle cramps
- The best thing to do when you suffer from an attack of cramps is to rub an ice pack on the tightened muscle, or use a heating pad on the cramped area.
- Drink chamomile tea. Chamomile tea has several health benefits and one of them is relieving leg muscle cramps. Put 2 tsp of dried chamomile flowers in a cup and fill the cup with boiling water. Cover and allow the tea to steep for 5 minutes and strain the tea into another cup and drink. Drink about 4-5 cups during the day to prevent cramps.
- Dehydration can also cause leg cramps. So drink plenty of water, about 8-10 glasses per day.
- Potassium deficiency can cause cramps, so to intake of apple cider vinegar can replace the potassium deficiency. Add 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and 1 tsp of honey to a glass of warm water and drink this mixture to relieve cramps.
- Leg cramp can be cured by taking a tsp of mustard because it is high in acetic acid which is capable of stimulating the muscles and relieving cramps.
5 remarkable home remedies for menstrual cramps
- Ginger tea is very effective in relieving menstrual cramp and pain. Add 2 tbsp of freshly cut ginger pieces to a cup of boiling water. Cover and allow the tea to steep for 15 minutes. Then strain the tea. Add 1 tbsp of honey and drink.
- Drink a cup of basil tea every 1 hour throughout the day to get relief from menstrual cramps and pain during cramping. Add a handful of washed basil leaves and a piece of cinnamon to cup of boiling water and wait for 15 minutes. Strain the tea and drink by adding 1 tbsp of honey.
- Cinnamon has anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic properties and has pain relieving ability and drinking cinnamon tea can relieve pain and menstrual cramps. Make cinnamon tea by boiling 1 tsp of cinnamon powder in a cup of boiling water and straining the tea after steeping it for 10 minutes. Drink the tea by mixing 1 tbsp of honey.
- Blackstrap molasses has proven to be beneficial in treating menstrual cramps because it has all the essential minerals to prevent cramps and also has the potential to sooth the muscles of the uterine walls and cure cramps. Add 2 tsp of blackstrap molasses to a glass of warm milk and keep drinking till you get relief.
- Drinking parsley tea is another effective remedy to relieve menstrual cramps. Put a handful of fresh parsley into a cup and fill the cup with boiling water. Cover and let the tea steep for 5-10 minutes. Strain and drink this tea in the morning and evening during menstrual periods.
Stop using painkillers for treating menstrual cramps and adopt the ancient natural home remedies to cure pain and cramp as they are effective and have no harmful side effects.