It is quite natural to produce gas, especially after having a heavy meal; but it can be quite embarrassing to pass gas while socializing. When gas does not get eliminated out, it can cause stomach bloating, a lot of abdominal discomfort, belching, and sometimes even loss of appetite or can leave behind a bitter taste in the mouth as well.
Why Does Gas Get Produced in the Stomach?
Mostly, gas production happens from the breakdown of undigested food material. The food consumed is partially digested in the stomach, after which it moves down to the small intestines where the rest of the digestion takes place. If there is any food that gets undigested due to shortage of enzymes, it goes to the large intestine where the ‘good’ bacteria breaks it further down.
After the break down, carbon dioxide, hydrogen and sometimes methane gets produced that gets mixed with oxygen, which is called as stomach gas.
Because the gassy feeling occurs all of a sudden, there are some home remedies that could be followed to experience immediate relief.
Home Remedies for Gas
- Chewing gums, consuming too much of carbonated drinks, smoking, and consuming meals at a rapid pace can all encourage gas production in one’s stomach. So people prone to having flatulence problem should avoid all of these as far as possible.
- To a glass of warm milk, add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and blend well. Drink this for gas elimination. If milk is not favored, then it can be substituted with boiled warm water.
- For the next home remedy – take a glass of warm water and blend 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in it. Cool this before drinking for gas relief.
- Take equal parts of ground ginger, cardamom, fennel and blend them well. Then add about 1 teaspoon of this blended ingredients along with a pinch of asafetida to a glass of water and drink it twice in a day.
- Crush some ginger pieces to extract its juice. Consume a little ginger juice along with asafetida for gas relief.
- Add a teaspoon each of carom seeds or celery seeds and black salt to a glass of buttermilk and drink to relieve gas symptoms.
- Munching on some cumin seeds after consuming meals is considered beneficial in relieving stomach gas. In fact all of these home remedial methods should preferably be followed after having meals to get instant gas relief.
- Add half a teaspoon of fresh fennel seeds to a small amount of lemon juice. Allow the seeds to soak in this juice and consume it in small amounts to experience gas relief.
- Take 1/4th teaspoon of turmeric powder and add a pinch of salt to it. Consume this mixture followed immediately with the intake of a glass of warm water. Gas relief can be observed almost immediately.
Like they say, ‘prevention is better than cure’, and to prevent gas formation the following is considered helpful.
- Take half a cup of boiled and cooled water. Add to this approximately 10-12 drops of lemon juice and consume this on an empty stomach every morning to prevent gas formation.
- The next method that will help in preventing gas formation is by eating four short meals a day instead of two big meals. This will keep the stomach full as well.
Eat nutritious foods and follow a healthy lifestyle to lead a healthy and fulfilling life.