A sudden and severe pain experienced in the upper abdominal area could be a sign of gastritis. Gastritis occurs when the stomach lining becomes inflamed, which could either happen from an infection, over eating, being on medications long term, or bringing on alcohol. Most cases of gastritis are just a temporary phase that gets healed well with proper diet, and sometimes with medications.
However, if it is a chronic case, then it could possibly lead to ulcer formations, that is, if no proper treatment plan is being followed.
Almost all of us would have had an episode of indigestion and stomach discomfort, and these are almost always short lived that can be dealt well with the use of some home remedies.
Home Cures For Gastritis
- While going through an episode of gastritis, avoid eating for a couple of hours or until the symptoms decrease down a bit.Drink plenty of water though, but if even this is vomited out, then just take sips of it initially, gradually increasing the quantity.
- Avoid eating foods that are overly spiced, oily, or acidic. Even aerated and alcoholic beverages are best avoided for all of these will only irritate the mucous membrane of the stomach and aggravate the symptoms.
- Take 1 teaspoon each of carom seeds and salt, mix both well and eat them in small quantities to experience relief from gastritis.
- Have more frequent meals in small quantities, rather than having three large meals while suffering from gastritis. Some amount of relief from the signs and symptoms of gastritis will be observed by doing this.
- To one glass of hot water and add 1 teaspoon of licorice powder, and let it stand for 15 minutes. Then, strain the liquid and consume this blend three times in a day to improve gastritis symptoms.
- If the gastritis is found to be due to a bacterial infection, consuming foods that can effectively kill these harmful microorganisms will help. Topping this list of foods is broccoli, containing natural properties that work well towards destroying stomach bacteria. Apart from this, carrot and beet juice, spinach, sweet potatoes, pineapples; spices like garlic, ginger, turmeric; and yogurt will help in reversing the stomach inflammatory condition.
- Take half a glass of buttermilk and add to this a pinch of asafetida, fenugreek, and turmeric powder. Blend all the ingredients well and drink before retiring to bed for gastritis relief.
- Lemon juice is known to relieve gastritis symptoms like nausea and bloating sensations. Extract juice from half a lemon, blend it in a glass of water, add honey and drink at timed intervals until relief is obtained.
- Cumin seed is good for gastritis relief. Boil a liter of water, and while boiling, add half a teaspoon of cumin seeds and continue to boil for a minute. Consume this in place of normal water and see the difference.
- Drinking 2 cups of coconut water every day is recommended to get the stomach feeling back to normal. This will also help in energizing the patient. So does taking rice gruel, if one is a frequent rice eater.
If in case symptoms of gastritis remains for more than 5 or 7 seven days, then medical assistance will be required.