Head colds are common colds in which the regions of the head and face are primarily affected. The nose and the sinuses are infected by the virus which causes the common cold. A head cold usually lasts for a week to around 10 days. It may lead to sinusitis or an ear infection also. Since the sinuses are swollen it causes pressure and pain in the head and facial regions. As cold is caused by a virus, antibiotics are not effective and it has to run its course. Home remedies can provide relief and treat the head cold.
When the cold virus infects the nasal passage the membranes and sinuses swell. Mucus is over produced and it blocks the sinuses. Due to the swelling of the sinus the mucus is trapped instead of draining out. This causes pressure and pain. The symptoms of a head cold may include nasal congestion, headaches, earaches and a sore throat. The cold virus is found in air droplets and on surfaces which are touched by a number of people. The rhino virus is the most common cold virus and it is highly contagious. It spreads when the infected person coughs or sneezes or by hand-to-hand contact with the infected person, or touching objects touched by the infected person. The middle ear is connected to the throat and this may also become inflamed and cause earache. The pharynx can become infected and throat pain may develop.
Home remedies for Hair cold:
Home remedies can provide a lot of relief from head cold.
- Consume plenty of fluids to get relief from congestion. Water, juices and hot soups will prevent dehydration and keep the throat moist.
- Gently blow the nose to clear the mucus by pressing a finger on a nostril.
- Rinse the nasal passage with saline water to kill virus and bacteria and remove nose blocks.
- Keep yourself warm and take rest to boost your immunity levels to fight the cold.
- Gargle with warm salt water to relieve throat pain. Gargling with a mixture of honey, lemon juice and water also provides relief.
- Apply hot packs on the infected sinuses.
- Herbal teas like dry chrysanthemum with pepper mint can be beneficial.
- Ginger and cinnamon tea also gives relief.
- Garlic has anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties which are very useful in getting rid of cold. Mix a crushed clove of garlic with some lemon juice, honey, cayenne pepper and consume. Garlic can also be eaten raw.
- Honey can be consumed as it sooths the throat and fights against cold.
- Red onion juice can be mixed with honey and consumed several times a day to get relief from cold and sore throat.
- Apple cider vinegar can help to decongest the nose and improve immunity. Mix some apple cider vinegar win arm water and drink twice a day.
- Steam inhalation is very useful remedy for clearing the nasal congestion. Add a few drops of essential oils to boiling water and inhale for relief from cold symptoms.
- Eucalyptus oil is very beneficial as it has anti-inflammatory properties and decongests. Inhale the aroma of the oil few times a day.
- Chicken soup can slow the movement of neutrophils and concentrate it in the areas that require healing. It has great nutritional value and can be consumed.
- Echinacea plant reduces the duration of the cold and its symptoms.
- Probiotics found in yogurt reduce the chances of developing a respiratory infection.
- Regular washing of hands prevents the infection from spreading.
Head colds are an annoyance and cause a great deal of discomfort. Use these home remedies and measures to make your-self feel better and reduce the duration of the cold.
Chemicals are harsh and further damage the hair. Hence avoid chemical products and use these natural home remedies to promote hair growth and enjoy a healthy and lustrous mane.