Herpes refers to an infection caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). It is mainly of two types-oral herpes (HSV type 1) and genital herpes (HSV type 2). Other herpes infections can occur on the eyes, skin or other body parts. It can affect men, women and even children whose immune system is weak. It is highly contagious and direct skin-to-skin contact causes the virus to spread. If the herpes virus has entered the body it never leaves it and can remain dormant until it gets activated due to triggers like stress, illness, exposure to sum, menstruation or surgery. Herpes can be prevented and treated using several home remedies.
The Herpes virus spreads by personal contact with an infected person. Herpes (HSV-1) can be passed on by kissing, touching the skin, sharing items like razors, lip sticks etc. Genital herpes is spread during sexual contact. A mother infected with herpes can pass it on to the baby during child birth. The symptoms of herpes may occur whenever the virus is activated and include flu like symptoms – fever, muscle aches and pains, swelling of the glands in the neck or groin. Red aching blisters appear which burst open oozing fluids and form a crust before they heal. In oral herpes the sores generally occur on the lips or round the mouth. Genital herpes causes sores on the genitals. Burning sensation while urinating and eye infections which may lead to scarring and impaired vision may also occur.
Home remedies for Herpes:
Natural home remedies can be used at home to treat outbreaks of herpes. The spread of herpes can be prevented by taking preventive measures.
- Avoid touching the sores to prevent the infection from spreading. Wash hands regularly and keep the body clean.
- Keep the infected area dry using cornstarch or talcum powder
- Wear cotton underwear instead of using synthetic material.
- Use sunblock to prevent exposure to sunlight which can trigger a herpes outbreak.
- Olive oil is rich in anti-oxidants and is a good moisturizer and can be applied on the affected area.
- Ice packs can be placed on the sores for relief from swelling and itching.
- Tea tree oil can help to fight against herpes. Add a few drops to a glass of water and gargle for oral herpes or apply a few drops on the genital area as required.
- Licorice extracts are found to be very useful for treating herpes.
- Epsom salt baths can be taken for pain relief.
- Aloe Vera has soothing and healing properties and can be applied on the sores for relief from pain and itching.
- Manuka honey has anti-viral properties and assists in healing the herpes sores.
- Oregano oil also has anti-viral properties and can be applied on the affected area to promote healing.
- Take plenty of rest to boost the body’s
- Raw milk contains Mono carpin fat which can kill the viruses. Apply it on the sores and wash off and dry.
- Lysine is an amino acid which can be applied on the infected area as a remedy.
- Black coffee is an effective remedy. Take a sip and hold in the mouth for some time to treat oral herpes.
- Echinacea is a very good remedy for treating herpes and can be consumed.
- Place a cotton ball dipped in baking soda on the affected area for relief from pain and itching.
- Lemon balm is very useful for healing the sores. Add a few drops to a glass of water and drink it thrice a day.
- Black tea contains tannin which has anti-inflammatory properties. Apply it on the infected area for relief.
Herpes is a very painful condition. The appearance of sores and blisters on the visible parts of the body are a source of great embarrassment. Having this condition prevents the person from having an active social life. Using these home remedies and preventive measures the outbreaks and spread of herpes can be greatly controlled.