Jaundice is a condition which occurs due to the increase in the quantity of bilirubin in the blood and indicates an underlying disease. The day-to-day breakdown of red blood cells releases bilirubin which is normally metabolized by the liver and excreted as bile. Any imbalance in the metabolism or the production of bilirubin results in jaundice. It is characterized by a yellow discoloration of the skin, whites of the eye and mucus membranes. Jaundice can be controlled and treated by following an appropriate diet and by using natural home remedies.
Jaundice may be caused when there is a rapid increase in the breakdown of the red blood cells rendering the liver unable to remove the increased bilirubin from the blood. Malaria, thalassemia, toxins and other auto immune disorders may lead to this condition. At times the liver may not be able to fully metabolize and remove the bilirubin. Hepatitis, cirrhosis, toxins and cancer may cause this condition. In obstructive jaundice there is a blockage in the usual drainage of bile from the liver to the intestines. Gall stones in the bile ducts, cancer, strictures of bile ducts, pancreatitis and pregnancy are some of the reasons for this condition to occur. In newborns jaundice may be caused by the inability of the newborn’s liver to process bilirubin. It usually passes away as the infant’s liver matures.
Home remedies for Jaundice:
Home remedies and dietary precautions are very helpful in managing and treating jaundice.
- Boil tomatoes in water, remove the skin and extract the juice. Drink every morning juice on an empty stomach as a remedy for jaundice.
- Soak some almonds, dried dates, cardamom and soak them overnight. Make them into a fine paste, mix sugar and some butter and eat once every day.
- Add 2 tsp of turmeric powder to a glass of water and drink thrice a day.
- Keep the body hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids.
- Do not consume alcohol
- For jaundice in infants place the baby near a window where there is sunlight few times a day so that the levels of bilirubin decrease.
- Make a paste of tender papaya leaves and consume with 1tsp of honey.
- Add lemon leaves to boiling water. Cover and leave for some time. Drink this for decoction for a few days.
- Drink plenty of lime juice.
- A juice make of radish leaves can be taken as a remedy for jaundice.
- Sugar cane juice is a useful remedy for jaundice and can be taken regularly.
- Crush some fresh neem leaves and extract the juice. Drink it with water and some sugar early in the morning.
- Coconut water can be consumed to help cool down the body and flush out toxins.
- Bitter gourd juice can also be consumed as a cure.
- Barley water is also helpful in treating jaundice.
- Ginger juice can be added to lime juice and mint juice and taken.
- Buttermilk can be taken as it aids in digestion and is beneficial for the liver.
- Jaundice berry juice is an effective treatment for jaundice.
- Indian gooseberry is also helpful in treating jaundice.
- Follow a proper diet with along with plenty of rest.
- Avoid eating oily and spicy foods. Caffeine and artificial sweeteners are to be avoided.
- Do not consume meat or poultry as it is difficult to digest.
Jaundice is a condition which is to be treated with care and caution. Follow a suitable diet and use the natural home remedies to check jaundice and treat it.