In the human body, the kidney releases the urine, into the urinary bladder. It is let out of the body through the urethra. When a person is unable to empty his bladder fully, urine gets retained within the body, causing extreme pain and discomfort apart from serious ailments.
The following are some of the causes for urinary retention:
- Prostrate problems.
- Cysts or stones in the urinary tract.
- Weak muscles in the pelvic area.
- Certain ailments in the brain which may fail to give proper message to the bladder and the urethra to release urine.
- Nervous weakness or damage.
- Serious lower abdominal injuries.
- Infections in the urinary tract.
- Severe constipation.
The following are some of the symptoms of urine retention in the body:
- Abdominal pain and bloating.
- Oedema of the feet and arms. Sometimes, facial oedema too.
- Severe back pain and pain near the loin area, which may signal prostrate troubles.
- No urge to urinate and a feeling of incomplete urination when in the toilet.
Urinary retention can be acute or chronic. Acute urinary retention requires the immediate intervention of a doctor. In chronic conditions, the patient faces difficulty in emptying the bladder. In both conditions, intervention of an expert urologist is required to expedite the treatment process and rule out life-threatening ailments.
- This a famous herb prescribed in ayurveda for the problem of urine retention.
- The root is available in an powdered form. Usually, two teaspoons of this powder is boiled in water and the solution is allowed to cool. This drink should be consumed at least thrice in a day, to avoid urine retention, caused due to cysts or infections in the urinary tract. Licorice has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Its intake helps in curing the infection.
- An expert Ayurvedic doctor should be consulted before embarking on this medicine.
- Chronic constipation makes the faeces very hard and it becomes extremely difficult for the patient to pass motions.
- This puts pressure on the bladder and presses the urethra. This can result in urine retention.
- One easy way out is to eat lots of vegetables and fruits to avoid constipation.
- Vegetables rich in fibre like elephant yam and pumpkin and ripe fruits of papaya and mango, help in easing the bowel movements.
- By making a healthy change in eating habits, the patient not only gets rid of constipation but also urine retention.
- Boil barley in water and let it cool.
- Drink this liquid as often as possible.
- Barley acts as a diuretic, one which helps in proper urination.
- It is especially beneficial in edema caused due to urine retention.
Coriander/ Parsley leaves:
- Take a bunch of coriander or parsley leaves and wash them thoroughly to get rid of dirt or soil accumulated on them.
- Boil the leaves in water until the water level comes down to half.
- Allow the liquid to cool. Strain it and store in the fridge.
- Drink this mixture, often, to get rid of the problem.
- As such, both coriander and parsley leaves have cleansing properties. They clean kidneys of accumulated toxins including metal and stones, thus contributing to kidney health.
- Cranberry juice is very helpful when the problem of urine retention is due to infections.
How to avoid problems like urinary retention?
- Avoid a sedentary life. Do not sit on hard chairs for longer periods. Insist on ergonomical chairs in the office.
- Eat vitamin and mineral-rich food. Often, deficiency in minerals like zinc is one of the causes for prostate problems.
- Be fit. Shun excess weight.