UTI stands for Urinary Tract Infection. The urinary tract in humans consist of the bladder, urethra, uterus (in case of women) and the kidneys. All the world over, more women suffer from this disease than men.
Some of the causes for the condition are:
- Holding urine for too long without emptying the bladder.
- Inadequate intake of fluids.
- Unhygienic practices.
- Uncontrolled diabetes.
- A burning sensation while passing urine.
- A change in colour of urine.
- Abdominal pain
- Scanty and frequent urination
- A nauseaous and vomiting sensation
The symptoms should not be ignored as this may lead to worsening of the ailment. A simple urine test would detect the presence of infection. Depending on the results of the test, the patient is categorised as a mild/ moderate / severe case of urine infection.
Consult the doctor to get to the root cause of the problem. Before trying out self-medication, discuss with your doctor and seek his advice.
Some of the time-tested home remedies for UTI:
- Eat fruits belonging to the berry family. These include blue berries, cranberries, straw berries etc.
- All berries contain anthocyanins, the antioxidants which fight against diseases and strengthen the immune system.
- Consuming the juices made out of these berries is also a good solution. However, make it a point to drink home-made juice, immediately after making it. Delaying to drink the juice would render it useless as many nutrients would be lost if left at room temperature, for long.
- Coriander Leaves:
- Wash fresh coriander leaves under running water to remove soil and dirt which may have accumulated on them.
- Boil the leaves in water until such time when the liquid reduces to half.
- Strain the liquid and store in glass bottles in the refrigerator.
- Drink this liquid frequently.
- Coriander has fine cleansing properties and it cleanses the urinary tract of microbes which cause the infection.
- Barley drink:
- Take 250 gms of barley seeds.
- Soak them in a litre of pure water, overnight.
- Boil this water and let it cool.
- Store this water and drink it as frequently as possible.
- Munch the soaked and boiled barley grains to derive the nutrients from it.
- Barley water cleanses the kidneys and the urinary tract and clears the infection.
- Do not miss out on the eight glasses of water, daily.
- Water flushes the harmful bacteria, out of the body, via the urine.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to the water to get the vitamin C of lemon. Vitamin C acts by expediting the healing process in the body.
- Buttermilk with cumin seeds:
- Roast a teaspoon of cumin seeds. Powder them and keep aside.
- Make buttermilk, of a watery consistency, out of home-made yogurt.
- Add a little rock salt and the roasted cumin powder.
- Even finely chopped ginger and green chillies may be added along with fresh and clean curry leaves, to enhance the taste.
- Store this buttermilk in a large vessel in the fridge.
- Drink this healthy beverage as many times as possible to get rid of the infection at a faster pace.
- Papaya, Carrots and Spinach:
- Eat slices of ripe papaya. This fruit is rich in vitamin A, which is required in repairing damaged tissues within the body.
- A juice made by boiling carrots and spinach is one of the ideal methods to get the amount of vitamin A required for faster healing in case of UTI. This juice should be had everyday, until the infection is completely erased out of the system.