Cough is termed as wet when it releases sputum or phlegm. Often, it is the result of the body’s effort to release the mucous substance and foreign particles formed as a result of an infection or ailment in the respiratory system.
Wet cough may be caused due to the following conditions:
- Last symptom of a cold bout.
- Chain smoking and addiction to drinking.
- Ongoing cold and flu symptoms.
- Body aches.
- Throat infection.
- Headache and body aches.
Symptoms which require a doctor’s intervention include coughing blood, coughing incessantly at night, low grade fever and rapid loss of weight. Usually, a chest x-ray, testing of the sputum, blood tests etc., are advised by the doctor to find the root cause of the problem.
For simple wet cough, doctors often prescribe suppressants and decongestants. However, the usual side effect of these medicines is drowsiness. Hence, it is important to consult the doctor and not indulge in self-prescription.
Some home remedies are very effective in curing a wet cough. In fact, they cure the condition without causing any side effects. Some of them are:
- Ginger is well-known for its therapeutic properties. It can be included in the diet regularly in a number of ways to boost the body’s immunity levels. To get rid of a wet cough, use ginger in the following ways to get a remedy from the problem.
- Take a piece of ginger. Removes the peels. Wash it thoroughly, afterwards. Now, crush this piece and extract the juice and sieve it through a clean, cotton cloth.
- Add an equal quantity of honey to this.
- Consume a teaspoon of this mixture, thrice a day to get relief from wet cough.
- When you suffer from continuous bouts of cough, start chewing on a little piece of unpeeled ginger. When the pungent ginger juice gets mixed with the saliva and enters the throat, it clears the infection and relieves the patient.
- Make a tea by boiling crushed ginger in water. Boil until the water emits a pleasant aroma of ginger. Now, add tea leaves and a little milk to this. Add a little sugar and drink this tasty tea, at least thrice when suffering from a cough.
- The ayurvedic system suggests the use of liquorice powder along with ginger extracts as a cure to wet cough.
- Organic and pure honey is a topical antibiotic. It is suggested in combination with some natural ingredients, as a cure to wet cough.
- Extract the juice out of a lemon. Mix equal quantity of honey. Store this in a glass bottle in the fridge. To get rid of a nagging cough, heat drinking water until it is lukewarm. To this mix two teaspoons of the ginger-lemon juice and have it immediately. This can be repeated at least thrice a day, to get a faster relief from wet cough.
- Dilute a little aloe vera juice in a glass of lukewarm water. Add a teaspoon of honey to this. Drink this, to help ease coughing.
- Take about 100 gms of raisin. Wash them clean. Add a small bowl of good quality honey. Boil this mixture until you get a sauce-like consistency. Store this in the fridge. During bouts of cough, take a few teaspoons of the raisin-honey sauce and mix lukewarm water to this. Drink this delicious preparation to get rid of wet cough.
- Make home-made turmeric powder by dry-roasting the roots and grinding them to a smooth powder. Mix a pinch of this powder in a glass of lukewarm water. Add sugar-candy for taste. Drink this, at least twice a day, to get a rapid relief.