Diaper rash is a common condition that occurs in babies. There are many types of rashes that can occur in babies such as rash caused by friction of diaper on the skin, rash caused by soaps and detergents, rash caused by allergies and rash caused by antibiotics or by yeast fungus that lives in moist environment in the diaper area and the symptoms include red rash that has little dots. Yeast diaper rash can be treated by simple home remedies, a few of which are discussed below………..
8 remarkable home remedies for yeast diaper rash
- Using coconut oil is one of the best remedy for yeast diaper rash. Virgin unrefined coconut oil can be applied on the rash. It has a good smell and it is harmless even if the baby if the baby puts coconut oil fingers in the mouth. Coconut oil contains Lauric acid and Caprylic acid which has the ability to kill yeast infection causing Candida yeast.
- Acidophilus are probiotics which are good bacteria and are capable of destroying Candida bacteria. Yogurt which contains acidophilus cultures is a beneficial remedy to cure yeast diaper rash. Yogurt can be applied on the rash or if you are breast feeding your baby, eat plenty of yogurt that contains acidophilus so that the good bacteria will be transferred to the baby through the breast milk.
- Apply breast milk on the rash. This is an excellent natural remedy because breast milk contains natural properties to kill bacteria.
- Every time you change your baby’s diaper, apply plain organic kefir on the rash. Kefir is fermented milk that contains natural probiotics which helps to get rid of Candida yeast that causes the yeast rash.
- Wash your baby’s bottom. Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with honey. Pat dry and apply the mixture on the rash. Honey has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties and is capable of getting rid of yeast infection that causes diaper rash. And tea tree oil also has antifungal, antiseptic and antibacterial properties. Off-course the whole process is very sticky. Don’t use honey if your child is less than one year old, because it is dangerous if the baby puts honey coated fingers in the mouth. For infants 2-3 drops of tree tea oil can be mixed with 1 tbsp of coconut oil and applied on the rash.
- Make a 50/50 solution with apple cider vinegar and water. Use cotton ball and apply this solution on the rash. Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties to kill Candida yeast. Don’t use undiluted apple cider vinegar directly on the baby’s skin as it will cause irritation.
- Fill the baby’s tub with warm water and mix 2 tbsp of baking soda in the water and make your baby sit in the bath for 10 minutes every day till rashes disappear.
- Grapefruit seed extract is an excellent home remedy to clear any fungal, parasitic or bacterial infections. To treat your baby’s yeast diaper rash, mix 1-2 drops of grapefruit seed extract in 2 tbsp of water and apply on the affected area.
So the next time your baby suffers from diaper rashes, first identify the cause of the rash and if it is yeast diaper rash, try out these home remedies which are safe and harmless on your little one’s skin. But if the rash persists for a few days and is accompanied by fever, please consult a pediatric.