Sometimes fungus under your toenails can make your toenails look ugly and yellowish. In medical term this fungal infection is termed as Onychomycosis. It mainly affects the toenails because your toenails are always in the warm environment inside your socks and shoes. Though there are antifungal topical applications, try out these home remedies first before you choose drugs.
10 remarkable home remedies for yellow toenails
- The most common remedy for yellow toenail is apple cider vinegar because of its antifungal and antibacterial properties which has the ability to treat fungal infection under the toenail. Mix 50/50 parts of apple cider vinegar and water in a bowl and soak your feet in this solution for 30 minutes. Repeat every day till yellow color disappears.
- How do you get rid of bacteria in your mouth? The answer is Listerine mouthwash. Well use the same Listerine mouth wash to get rid of the fungus under your nails. The powerful antiseptic in Listerine has the power to destroy fungus. Soak your toes in Listerine mouth wash for ½ an hour every night.
- Lemon juice is an excellent and popular natural remedy for yellow toenails. Mix lemon juice in a bowl of water and soak your feet it for 30 minutes, because lemon juice has the ability to remove stains. You can also rub lemon slices directly on the fungal toenail, leave it for 30 minutes and wash it away for removing yellow color.
- Tea tree oil is another beneficial remedy for yellow toenails because it has antibacterial properties. Add 3-4 drops of tea tree oil in 1 tsp of olive oil. Apply this mixture on the infected toenail and wash after 30 minutes. Repeat daily till infection subsides.
- Coconut oil is an effective home remedy for yellow toenails, because coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids like Caprylic acid and Lauric acid which has antifungal properties to destroy the fungus under the toenail. Apply coconut oil on the toenail and allow it to dry naturally.
- Make a paste with 3 tbsp baking soda and 1 tbsp 3% hydrogen peroxide and apply this paste on the toenail and wash after 10 minutes. Repeat twice daily till the color changes.
- Fry 2-3 crushed garlic in 2 tbsp of olive oil. Strain the oil and apply the oil on the toe. Garlic has antibacterial and antifungal properties to get rid of fungal infection.
- A combination of olive oil and oregano oil is another effective treatment to get rid of fungus under the toenail. Oregano oil has antifungal, antibacterial, antiseptic and antiparasitical properties. Just add 2-3 drops of oregano oil in a tsp of olive oil and apply on the affected toe and wash and pet dry after 30 minutes. Repeat twice daily for three weeks.
- Another product that can effectively fight toenail fungus and remove the yellow color from the nail is white vinegar. Soak your toenail in a mixture made with one part of white vinegar and 2 parts of water and rinse it off after 15 minutes. Repeat till fungus is treated.
- Grapefruit seed extract contains antibiotic properties and can get rid of any fungus. Apply grapefruit seed extract on your toenail to eliminate toenail fungus. Repeat for one month.
These home remedies are cheap and effective and safe remedies from your kitchen and will help to remove the fungus and yellow discoloration naturally. Try them and see the results!!!