Emphysema is a disease affecting the lungs. It is a chronic condition which progresses gradually. The patient experiences difficulty and obstruction in breathing. He exhales with great effort.
The following are some of the reasons for emphysema:
- Chronic smoking.
- Too much of air pollution.
- Passive or second hand smoking.
Smoking is said to be the leading cause for this condition. Constant and continuous smoking, over a long period of time, destroys the lining of the air sacs present in the lungs. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) and Bronchitis are two forms of emphysema. Even persons who experience passive smoking, i.e., they inhale the air polluted by smoke, due to their proximity to the smoker, over a long period of time, are at risk for emphysema.
Doctors diagnose this disease through a series of tests. These include Spirometry, X-rays and blood tests. The first and foremost advice that is given to an emphysema patient is to quit smoking. The progress of the disease can be slowed down significantly by quitting smoking.
Some home remedies to manage the condition are listed below:
- The first and foremost step towards managing the condition is to quit smoking.
- Then, any or many of the following remedies may be followed.
- Every morning, have a glass of lemon juice.
- For this, extract the juice from half a lemon. Add a little honey. Add about a glass of lukewarm drinking water.
- Drink this everyday.
- Lemon is full of vitamin C. This vitamin quickens the body’s healing mechanism.
- When you suffer from any disease related to the respiratory system, do no drink ice-cold water.
- It is a good idea to change your normal drinking water to that of lukewarm water in which a few herbs like holy basil or mint leaves are added.
- Buy an electric kettle. Boil the herbs along with the water and allow it to cool.
- Drink only this water, until your symptoms subside.
- Fennel seeds have the effect of stimulating the endorphins (the feel-good hormones) in the brain.
- Munch on a few fennel seeds after every meal. Apart from aiding in digestion, they help in emphysema too.
- Soak fenugreek seeds in water and eat them in the morning.
- Studies say that eating fenugreek seeds is good for conditions like sore throat, bronchitis and emphysema.
- Eat two raw garlic cloves on an empty stomach, every morning.
- This helps in clearing the mucus out of the lungs.
- Sesame oil in which a few garlic cloves are boiled, can be used for massaging the chest. They help in getting rid of chest congestion.
- Use garlic in various food preparations.
- Buy good quality virgin coconut oil. Supplement your normal cooking oil with this.
- Consult a naturopath about the emphysema remedy with coconut oil. Generally, it is believed that intake of coconut oil, helps in thinning the mucus thus helping the person to clear the phlegm easily, through coughing.
- However, the dosage depends upon the intensity of emphysema.
Tips to manage emphysema:
- Do not overstress.
- Practise certain breathing techniques which help clear the lung and nasal blocks. For this, seek the guidance of an expert yoga teacher. Breathing exercises, when done over long periods of time, oxygenate the whole body and improve the lungs’ breathing capacity.
- Also, certain kriyas in yoga like jal neti help in clearing the lungs of toxins and wastes. Learn and practise regularly.
- If you are obese, try and shed weight.