RSV stands for respiratory synctial virus. This is, mostly, a seasonal disease and it is highly contagious. The disease causes symptoms like cold, fever, cough, running nose, sore throat, nasal block, wheezing etc. RSV may some times cause serious conditions like pneumonia. The disease strikes mainly during the winter months.
The following persons are at a high rist for RSV:
- Young children who are less than two years of age.
- Older people who have weak immunity.
- Persons with chronic diseases.
Treatment for RSV involves pain killers and temperature regulators. Severely affected cases may require oxygen therapy and mechanical ventilation. Neglecting the symptoms can lead to severity. If the disease is caught in the early stages, treatment would be easier.
Some effective home remedies for RSV are mentioned here:
Steaming with a few mint leaves:
- Boil water with a few mint leaves. Now, let the child / adult inhale the steam. Cover the head of the patient, bent over the vessel, with a thin cotton cloth for a greater effect. Let the patient continue this activity for atleast five minutes.
- When the steaming activity is over, wipe the face and chest clean and let the patient lie down and rest. Cover him with a warm bed sheet.
- This clears congestion, nasal blocks, head aches and creates a sense of relaxation leading to better sleep.
- The above procedure of steaming may be done by using oregano leaves instead of mint leaves too.
- Buy good quality camphor oil.
- Apply a small quantity of this on the chest of the patient. You may apply on the throat also.
- Put a few drops of the oil into an empty vaporising device. Now plug in. This would help in clearing the air, of dampness.
- Rub a little of the oil on the bed sheet and pillow cover used by the patient.
- Camphor acts as a decongestant and is anti-inflammatory.
- It heals by clearing congestion and blockage.
Ginger + honey:
- Some patients with RSV suffer from disturbed sleep due to continuous coughing during the night.
- They can drink a teaspoonful of ginger juice with a little honey added to it.
- For this, remove the peels of the ginger and grate the piece. Now, press the grates by keeping them inside a clean cotton cloth. Now, add an equal quantity of organic honey.
- Let the patient have this like a tonic at the end of the day.
- Chewing of holy basil leaves promotes immunity and cures various infections.
- Another method is to make holy basil water and consume the same during RSV infection.
- For this, clean a bunch of basil leaves and boil them in a litre of pure drinking water.
- Let the volume of water reduce to about half.
- Now, allow the liquid to cool.
- Now, strain the liquid and keep aside.
- Let the patient drink only this liquid until recovery.
- Night would be the ideal time to make this liquid. By morning, it would cool and be ready for drinking purpose.
Tips to prevent the spread of RSV:
- Frequent washing of hands.
- Kids affected with the virus should not be asked to attend to school. Instead, allow them to rest and recuperate at home.
- To prevent spread of the virus in hospital, care givers and doctors should wear gloves and frequently wash hands.
- Regular dose of a cod liver capsule, as per the advice of the doctor, helps in improving the immunity levels of the child.