Liver is one of the most important organs of the human body. It is located in the upper right side of the abdominal cavity. One cannot live without a liver. Liver performs important functions which include purification of blood and removal of toxins from the body.
There are a number of diseases affecting the liver. However, some of the most common ones are mentioned here:
- Hepatitis A, B and C. For Hepatitis A and B, vaccines are available. However, for the third type of liver disease, there is no vaccine. Hepatitis is caused by a virus which affects the liver.
- Fatty liver: Normally, liver accumulates fats and fats upto 8-10% of the total liver weight is fine. However, when the fat content exceeds this percentage, the condition is referred as a fatty liver. This condition intrudes with the effective functioning of the liver.
- Cirrhosis: This is an advanced form of liver disease. This is often attributed to alcohol addiction. However, liver disease without alcohol abuse can also happen.
- End Stage Liver Disease: In this, the liver is irreparably damaged. It would require an immediate liver transplant for the patient to survive.
The common causes for a liver disease include:
- Alcohol addiction.
- Wrong food habits.
- Consequence of another underlying disease. Since the liver is involved in vital functions, some diseases which affect the other parts of the body, may spread to the liver also. Eg., cancer.
- Result of intake of certain drugs.
By being alert and following certain home remedies, liver diseases can be nipped in the bud. However, consult the physician and get the correct diagnosis if symptoms persist.
- Grind a handful of papaya seeds and mix the juice of half a lemon into this.
- Mix warm water and drink this concoction early in the morning.
- This acts as an excellent liver cleanser and helps the liver from hardening.
- Follow this remedy until relief is obtained.
- Take a small piece of beetroot and a big carrot. Boil these two vegetables slightly until they soften.
- Now, unpeel one small cucumber and dice it.
- Mix the three vegetables and run in the juicer.
- Drink this mixed vegetable juice by adding a little rock salt, to strengthen the liver.
- Follow this remedy, every day.
- All the three vegetables help in cleansing the liver of toxins and accumulated fats. Also, they aid in curing several other diseases of the abdomen, eyes and the skin.
Sugarcane/ Pomegranate juice:
- Drink a glass of fresh sugarcane juice, every day. You may add the juice of lemon and crushed ginger to enhance the health quotient of the juice. This remedy should be followed only if you are not diabetic.
- Drinking pomegranate juice, regularly, cleanses the liver and helps in getting rid of sluggishness of liver.
- The above two fruit juices are highly alkaline in nature and help in detoxifying the liver.
General tips for absolute liver health:
- Practise deep breathing exercises. They stimulate the various abdominal organs including the liver. The liver starts functioning effectively because it becomes more oxygenated due to deep breathing.
- Eat organic foods. Avoid chemicals even in cleaning products.
- Quit smoking and drinking.
- Avoid fatty foods and foods like red meat, pork and beef. Instead you may consume fish, in moderate quantities.
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits which are good for maintaining the liver in a good condition.
- Lead an active life and exercise regularly.
- Green tea contains catechins which are beneficial for liver health. So, switch to green tea.