OCD is defined as “A psychiatric disorder characterized by the persistent intrusion of certain repetitive, unwanted thoughts, sometimes accompanied by compulsive actions that a person is unable to prevent and that interfere with normal functioning”. Symptoms of OCD includes psychotic acts such as repeated checking, excessive cleaning and washing, violent or religious thoughts, following nervous rituals, superstitions about certain numbers or colors etc. Antidepressants and therapy treatments can cure OCD, but there are several home treatments that can help to free you from OCD symptoms.
8 remarkable home remedies for OCD
- An effective and traditional way to treat OCD is valerian root which has the ability to reduce anxiety and help you to sleep well. It has ingredients which has the potential to cure OCD. Make tea using valerian root, and drink 2 times a day till you get relief from symptoms of OCD.
- Another beneficial herb that helps to reduce anxiety and treat OCD is St. John’s herb. You can make tea with St. John’s herb and drink twice a day.
- Passion flower is another effective home remedy to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder. Boil a cup of water and add 2 tbsp of dried passion flower. Allow the decoction to steep for 10-15 minutes. Strain and drink this tea two times a day. Passion flower has the ability to calm your nerves and as it is a mild sedative, it will put you to sleep. Passion flower supplements are also available.
- Intake foods that are rich in vitamin B12, which is very important to ease the symptoms of OCD as its deficiency can, also cause obsessive-compulsive disorder. Some foods that are rich in vitamin B12 includes sardines, Swiss cheese, egg, soymilk, chicken, beef, whole grain cereal, low-fat buttermilk, milk, whey powder etc.
- Sipping a cup of chamomile tea is a great way to reduce anxiety symptoms and remain calm. For years chamomile is very popular remedy to reduce anxiety as some compounds in chamomile has the potential to bind to the same brain receptors as valium drug. The best way to intake chamomile is in the form of chamomile tea. Add 2 tsp of fresh chamomile flowers or dried chamomile flowers into a cup. Pour in 1 cup of boiling water. Cover and keep the tea aside for 15 minutes. Strain the tea and slowly sip the tea and feel relaxed.
- Another powerful herb that can cure OCD symptoms is Ginkgo Biloba, an extract from a Chinese tea. Ginkgo Biloba is available in supplements form.
- A simple but effective remedy to ease the symptoms of OCD is to sip a hot cup of green tea, which contains amino acid called L-theanine, which has the ability to reduce anxiety and enhance calmness. Drink 3-4 cups of green tea every day till symptoms subsides.
- Kava has proved to be an effective herb to reduce anxiety. Take kava supplements regularly.
Nowadays people prefer natural healing remedies for any type of illness because of the dangerous health effects of drugs. Try out these natural home remedies and you are sure to find relief!!!